Sunday, October 19, 2008

Proposition 8 is Personal

When I think about Proposition 8 I almost always think about our son Donovan. I think of a world where Prop 8 didn't pass and what it would be like. To be honest it scares me. I know Donovan is only 5 1/2 months old now but I fast forward in my mind to his first day of kindergarten. I see him playing in a big classroom with other kids. I see some kids coming up to him and the following conversation plays out in my mind...
Classmate: "Do you want to play house?"

Donovan: "Sure."

Classmate: "Okay, you can be the Daddy."

Donovan: "Who will be the Mommy?"

Classmate: "There isn't a Mommy. There are two Daddies."

Then the part that brings tears to my eyes. I see my sweet innocent little boy stopped in this tracks looking confused. I see him not knowing what to say or do. I imagine some of the other kids asking him what's wrong or maybe telling him how they have two Daddies. I hope he will think of his own mother and father who have the kind or marriage between a man and a woman that is ordained of God. Not just a cheap imitation of that. I hate to think of the belief of this type of marriage being "normal" infiltrating our children in school at grades as young as kindergarten. In Massachusetts public schools have started a new diversity curriculum where they read a book called "King and King." It is the story or two princes who meet and fall in love. They get married and together become "King and King" the book ends with a picture of the princes kissing. I hate to think of this book being read to Donovan or any young impressionable children. I know we can't shelter him from all the trials of life but there are some things that he just doesn't need to be exposed to. I have decided that if Prop 8 doesn't pass and we are still living in California when Donovan becomes school age that I will home school him. I really feel that it is the right decision and want to give him the kind of educational environment where he doesn't have to have additional confusing message being thrown his way.

Marriage is a most special a sacred union that God has created for the benefit of his children (us) on earth. Marriage allows our Father in heaven to send down his spirit children into the homes of a loving father and mother who will raise his children in righteousness. If we tamper with marriage with tamper with God's plan. There will be fewer homes for God to send his spirit children to and I hate to think of those spirits on the other side longing to experience earth life but having to wait longer than necessary.

In closing I just want to say that I know what our prophet has asked of us is right and inspired. The first presidency has said "We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage." As Sterling and I have worked on Prop 8 by going door-to-door, making calls or donating I have seen many blessing come into our lives. I feel it is a privilege for us to help out with this campaign and know that anyone who helps out with it, in any way, will be richly blessed.

Check out this video.

No comments: