
We just went to our 19-week ultrasound appointment. We were referred to see a high-risk pregnancy doctor because of my Scleroderma. Little did we know that they would be performing both a regular and a 4D ultrasound. It was really neat. We also learned that the doctor, Dr. DeVore is LDS. Anyways during the appointment they first had me put on these high tech glasses so that I could see everything the doctor showed us, right in front of my eyes, while Sterling looked at the monitor. We told the doctor that we didn't want to know the baby's gender and asked if it would be obvious. He said that he didn't even have to show us the baby's gender if we didn't want (so it is still a mystery). As they started the ultrasound Dr. DeVore first showed us our baby's profile with the regular ultrasound. Then he checked things like the heart, spine and body to make sure everything was normal. Thankfully it was. Then he switched over to the 4D and looked closer at the baby's face. Our baby is so cute already! He even had a way of just seeing the baby's skeleton. He mentioned during the ultrasound that due to my illness he saw some signs that I might have some complications with blood flow getting to the placenta in the future. So to avoid this we recommended a couple things. First he told me to have baby aspirin everyday until the 32-week mark. Then (my favorite part)...
Dr.DeVore: Do you exercise?
Cori: Yes.
Dr.DeVore: Stop.
How many people get told not to exercise? It was a little funny to hear him say that, I think most doctors generally tell you otherwise. He said that when you exercise it takes some blood away from the placenta and moves it to your heart and other organs. Since he's concerned about the baby getting enough blood, this should prevent that. Lastly he told me that each day I need to lay down on my left side for two hours. This will also help improve blood flow to the baby. Then he will continue to monitor the baby every month to make sure it's getting enough blood and growing properly. Worst-case scenario he said, he'll have to put me on complete bed rest. So all and all I thought it was a good appointment. I'm very glad the baby is healthy and that I can continue to do things to ensure that good health.
No comments:
Post a Comment